Overlooking the valley and views to the sea at Charmouth, The Barn is the flag ship of Champernhayes' six charming 15th Century restored farm buildings. This impressive detached stone property has been restored to original thatch and overlooks a beautiful valley and views of the Charmouth sea. It is situated on the site of a medieval monastery. The property has benefited from recent refurbishment and now combines a modern taste in furnishings and open plan, airy living, whilst remaining warm and cosy. Sleeping ten to twelve guests, The Barn is perfect for large groups and special celebrations.
One of six properties on the estate, we also offer Champernhayes Farmhouse sleeping up to eight guests.
This holiday cottage at a glance
- Sleeps 10 guests.
- Five bedrooms.
- Three en-suites and one shared bathroom.
- Four oven Aga.
- Wood burning stove.
- Indoor Jacuzzi and swim spa (private use with arranged time slots).
- Enclosed garden plus communal garden with pond.
- Up to two well behaved dogs welcome (small additional charge per dog), to be kept on the lead please due to sheep or guests who are wary of dogs.
- On-site parking.
- A small shop is available on-site selling local products and quality gifts.
- Arrive on a Friday, Saturday or Monday for a minimum of a three night stay.
- Stunning views out to the sea at Charmouth and surrounding countryside from the five acres of grounds.
- Four poster bed.
- Stable door from kitchen out to private garden which was once the site of the medieval monastery and whose footings can be seen on the stone wall.
- Woodland walks surrounding the area with a beauty meadow and stream.
- Seating area within garden with gas barbecue (gas supplied).
- Games room with a selection of books, board games and DVDs.
- Travel cot, highchair and stairgate available on request.
- Exposed beams.
- Flat screen TV and DVD player, Bose stereo.
- Hand built modern oak and granite topped kitchen, well equipped with two dishwashers, microwave, fridge and freezer.
- Washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Secured access to the jacuzzi area (pin code on door), please supervise children at all times and bring your own pool towels.
Attractions and nearby amenities
- Located on the Dorset and Devon border, just two miles from Charmouth and just over the hill, Lyme Regis.
- Situated with the UK's only natural World Heritage Site, this coastline is renowned for its fascinating geology and fossils – known locally as the 'Jurassic Coastline' – a real life 'Jurassic Park'.
- The towns of Honiton and Axminster are within 20 minutes drive.
- Well placed for trips to the famous River Cottage HQ which holds events, festivals and training courses, 10% off any event or training for Champernhayes guests.
- The historic city of Exeter is 20 minutes by rail from Axminster and Dorchester is a 30 minute drive.
- Famous south Devon and Dorset beaches offer a variety of seaside experiences – Sidmouth, Exmouth, Lulworth Cove and Sea town.
- Experiences can be arranged eg. Yoga alternative medicine; guided fossil walks, electric cycle rides to pubs and historic places; in-house curry and vegetarian cooking; chocolate making lessons; crafts, textiles bush and wood crafts.