Unique to the area, Riverside Retreat at Low Flatts is an architectural designed house circa 1956, built in the mid-century modern style. The house is situated in a tranquil one acre of mature orchard garden on the banks of the River Eden with glorious views of the river.
Renovated in 2017, this spacious home equipped and furnished to a high standard with everything you need for a relaxing holiday. The reception rooms are styled and furnished to reflect the origins of the property, maintaining original fixtures and fittings where possible. Whilst upstairs reflects an individual contemporary boutique style for your comfort and relaxation. Luxurious designed soft furnishings complete the welcoming ambience of this very special holiday home.
Armathwaite is a vibrant rural village benefitting from its own station on the famous Carlisle to Settle scenic railway line, in the heart of the Eden valley, on the Northern fringe of the Lake District World Heritage site. Surrounded by fertile farm land, beautiful riverside, woodland walks and unspoiled villages which lead through the Eden Valley, up the fellside of the Northern Pennines and out to the Solway Plain. Rich in history, flora & fauna; it is perfect for avoiding the crowds.
This holiday at a glance
- Sleeps ten guests.
- Sorry, no hen or stag parties.
- Five king-size bedrooms, all en-suite.
- Enchanting views of the river.
- One acre of enclosed orchard garden.
- Riverside patio and orchard patio with seating.
- Hot tub.
- Library and study areas leading to a sheltered balcony with seating for two.
- Children and infants welcome.
- Sorry, no pets.
- Parking for up to seven cars.
- Minimum of a three night stay.
- Blackout curtains behind all curtains.
- Electric oven with separate electric hob and multifunctional microwave.
- Combined fridge/freezer with ice maker, two fridges and dishwasher.
- Two washing machines and one tumble dryer.
- Coffee machine, smoothie maker and instant boiling water tap.
- Six Smart TVs with Freeview.
- Folding 6’3 snooker table.
- Board games and garden games.
- Travel cot, highchair and two stairgates available on request
- Warming area for outdoor clothing.
- Garden tables, chairs and parasols (all folding and portable).
- Charcoal barbecue.
- Secure storage for bicycles or sports equipment.
Attractions and nearby amenities
- Armathwaite has a well stocked village shop and post office, the Eden Stores Armathwaite, and two pubs in walking distance, the Fox and Pheasant and The Duke’s Head. The Eden View Restaurant at The Heather Glen Country House is open at weekends and comes highly recommended.
- Penrith is only 20 minutes’ drive away and has a good selection of shops and supermarkets. Alternatively Carlisle is a short 13 minute rail journey from Armathwaite station.
- The Eden Valley is excellent for cycling, fishing, and walking, with many wonderful footpaths on the doorstep of Riverside Retreat.
- The famous Carlisle to Settle Railway passes through Armathwaite. Buy your tickets online and hop on-board to enjoy this scenic railway route through Cumbria’s breath-taking landscape.
- Spanning the breadth of Northern England is the ancient Roman fortification of Hadrian’s Wall. See the longest surviving stretch of wall at Birdoswald Roman Fort which also has a tearoom and gift shop.
- Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery in Carlisle offers art lovers a fabulous collection of artworks from the Pre-Raphaelites to the contemporary.
- A short drive south is the Lake District National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.